As a child I loved amusement parks. There was nothing like the feeling of being a kid so carefree at the carnival. I would ride all the rides except the roller coaster. I never liked them! My dad would beg me to ride the roller coaster with him, and I would get a sick feeling in the bottom of my stomach. I kinda grew out of that phase, and now enjoy a good coaster from time to time. But, I NEVER put my hands up. I always hold on the the railing so tight that my fingers turn white. The big hills don't scare me, but I do hold my breath when I go down them to keep me from screaming. On a good day this tactic works, on a bad one - you will have to ask John (really loudly because he is going deaf in one year due to my screaming).
That being said, life in the NICU has been compared to a roller coaster. There are so many ups and downs, and changes from day to day. I guess you could say I am on the roller coaster - with my hands gripping on the rails and my hands turning whilte. Today was definitely a DOWN DAY! Our roller coaster hit another big hill, and I found myself holding tight on the way down.
Charly was upset all day today. She had her "cry" face on the entire time I was at the hospital. Something is wrong. Not even her favorite nurse, laying on her tummy (which she normally loves), or my warm hands on her little body would console her. In my heart of hearts I knew everything would be okay, but I know something is out of sorts with her.
On top of this - she stopped her feedings. Everything we have been bragging about (eating like a champ) came to a screeching hold. Something might be wrong with her bowels, or this might be a sign that she has come down with bacteria in her tummy. I was told that she is too unstable to even move today. There will be no CAT scans, no transport, no anything until Charly is a little more stable. I am worried about her little tummy. If she wouldn't tolerate even laying on her tummy - there must be something wrong with it. We will know more in the coming days, but for now we are heading downwards on this roller coaster with our hands held tight. Deep down I know everything will be okay and I am working really hard to stay strong and be an advocate for my little Angel.
She had several x-rays today, another spinal tap (Lumbar puncture), a belly ultrasound, and her oxygen sats were all over the place. She looked very tired...and that is hard to watch.
The good news is that everyone at IMC is working really hard to find the source of Charly's problem. I know she is in good hands, and I am learning that I can't live or die by the monitors in her room. I held her hand today and said, "everything will be okay".
That being said, life in the NICU has been compared to a roller coaster. There are so many ups and downs, and changes from day to day. I guess you could say I am on the roller coaster - with my hands gripping on the rails and my hands turning whilte. Today was definitely a DOWN DAY! Our roller coaster hit another big hill, and I found myself holding tight on the way down.
Charly was upset all day today. She had her "cry" face on the entire time I was at the hospital. Something is wrong. Not even her favorite nurse, laying on her tummy (which she normally loves), or my warm hands on her little body would console her. In my heart of hearts I knew everything would be okay, but I know something is out of sorts with her.
On top of this - she stopped her feedings. Everything we have been bragging about (eating like a champ) came to a screeching hold. Something might be wrong with her bowels, or this might be a sign that she has come down with bacteria in her tummy. I was told that she is too unstable to even move today. There will be no CAT scans, no transport, no anything until Charly is a little more stable. I am worried about her little tummy. If she wouldn't tolerate even laying on her tummy - there must be something wrong with it. We will know more in the coming days, but for now we are heading downwards on this roller coaster with our hands held tight. Deep down I know everything will be okay and I am working really hard to stay strong and be an advocate for my little Angel.
She had several x-rays today, another spinal tap (Lumbar puncture), a belly ultrasound, and her oxygen sats were all over the place. She looked very tired...and that is hard to watch.
The good news is that everyone at IMC is working really hard to find the source of Charly's problem. I know she is in good hands, and I am learning that I can't live or die by the monitors in her room. I held her hand today and said, "everything will be okay".
No comments:
Post a Comment