Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Not so Fun Test...


When I finally got to the hospital today Charly's nurse told me that she was "stable" enough for her the test needed for her bowels. I peeked at her, and she looked pretty good. She was rested, and was doing well on the transport oscillating ventilator. This was a NOT SO FUN test. Poor Charly had to have a Barium Enema. The test injects dye into the large intestine and rectum where radiology and surgery might be able to determine if Charly has any bowel diseases/problems. It was a HUGE chore to get her set up to travel to radiology. I felt really bad for her nurse today.

Once Charly was in radiology, she laid on a hard flat cold surface. She looked so uncomfortable, but she tolerated the test. All I am going to say is...her poor little bummy!!

I hope that we have the results soon, and that her little body doesn't need to go through any more grueling tests or surgeries. I am hopeful.

Before Charly's test I met with the Parent Support Group. We had lunch and discussed library resources at Primary's. It was very informative! The best part about the meeting was I got to connect with my friend Susie, who's daughter is also in the NICU at Primary's. I am so grateful she is there (I mean, sad that her baby is there, and hope she's well enough to leave soon, but selfishly know that I can't get through this without her).

I am starting to feel more comfortable at the hospital. No I lied, "comfortable" is not the right word...it should be "used to". I really don't like the lack of privacy, and know that Charly is being over stimulated (as there are several other babies in her room with lights on...monitors going off, people talking, laughing, etc). I miss the quiet space that we used to have at the other hospital. I keep reminding myself "this is where Charly needs to be", not "where does Angie want to be?". I also took away some important feelings from the luncheon. There are so many parents struggling and hurting because their children are in the NICU. All of us are struggling with the emotions of seeing our babies in pain. It made me more grateful for what I have and the experience I am having with Charly (as hard as it is).

We hope to have the results from her test, and continually pray that miracles work in our favor.

Our MIRACLE for now...is that Charly's head is NOT needing a reservoir for swelling AT THIS TIME. She needs to meet three sets of criteria in order to have surgery on her head. Right now she is only meeting one of the three (which is a good thing and a bad thing). I know with a fact that the slowing of her head growth is due to thoughts, prayers, and faith in her behalf. If she is to need a reservoir she needs to be at least 4.5lbs, and is just not big enough at this point. I am crossing, crossing, crossing my fingers her head will resolve on her own. We know that so many of you are praying for her!

I thought about throwing a penny in the fountain outside the front door, but stopped because I don't need wishes. I need faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment