Tuesday, August 2, 2011

I HELD MY BABY!!!


I was so excited to hold her - I wasn't sure if I wanted to laugh or cry!

It took her Nurse, the Nurse Practitioner, and the Respiratory Therapist to move her into my arms!

Here is my sweet little Charly. Her sats were the best they had been all day, so they let me hold her for over an hour and a half...which I was told "NEVER HAPPENS". What a blessing!

I had to hold in all my emotions...I was scared to shake or move her much because of her precious little body. Just feeling her skin next to me was a miracle!

I left the hospital tonight on a clear night with a star infested sky. I saw the big dipper as I walked in the front door. It has been an amazing day - so wonderful, so beautiful and so rewarding. Words cannot express the love that I felt when I got to hold little Charly-Bell. It was AMAZING. Thank you John for the sweet post that you wrote...I cried when you wrote it, I cried when I read it, and I cried thinking of all of the wonderful friends and family that are probably crying along with us - and celebrating with us! All I can say is, Thank you!

After I held her she got a new vent tube so she had to be re-intibated. She also had another Lumpar Puncture (checking for menigitis) which clotted...so it will have to be done again. I long for her to have some peace and rest - I can't imagine being bothered every three hours, and then for tests, x-rays, and respiratory checks in-between. Poor thing. She is strong, and she has a very definite personality. I love her so much, it's hard to even describe.

As I said goodbye to Charly tonight...I felt a little scared. Now that I've held her - felt her warm body, and "bonded" with her...I long to want insurance that she will be okay. I cried in the parking lot before I regained my composure and drove home in silence. I remembered the Movie "The Count of Monte Cristo" (the book is my favorite) where Edmond said, "Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man (or woman I might add) is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine!..." So, I am trying to weather the storm and am overwhelmingly grateful for all that I have been given, and the wonderful blessing of holding Charly. I can truly feel all of you with me celebrating this moment!

6 comments:

  1. So exciting! Yes, we are crying and celebrating with you! What a wonderful day for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so happy for you!!!! It is a moment in time that you will never forget. I still remember the first time I held Sadie. It seems like it happened just 5 minutes ago to me. It's mommies and daddies with micro-premies that learn to never take a single moment for granted because we have to wait longer then any other for the simple things with our precious angels. You are all in our thoughts and prayers everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so emotional right now, I can not even think of what I wanted to write. I do not know you or your family but I am already in love with your faith, determination and love that you have. I can not imagine what your family is experiencing but this story has touched me and I pray for little Charly (LOVE her name!) and her strong, loving family that all will continue to improve. I am so happy to know that she is defying the odds and living! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw a post for your blog through someone on Facebook and am so moved right now by your courage and strength. I may not know you, but you undoubtedly have my prayers.
    The Counte of Monto Cristo is one of my all time favorite books and when you mentioned that quote, it seemed to fit perfectly. You will make it through the storm, and be that much stronger in the end.
    My best friends little boy was born at 27 weeks. He made it through the storm and is the most special spirit I have ever had the privilege of being around. He is truly a miracle and it is such a blessing to know him. I was able to attend his baptism last year and have never felt such a strong spirit in the room, as the men who gave him a blessing to live when he was so small, participated in his baptism and confirmation. It was truly an experience I will never forget.
    Charly will be blessed with the sweetest spirit you will ever know, an it is such a privilege to have someone like her in your presence every day. I wish you and your family the best. My prayers go out to you and your sweet Charly.

    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw a rainbow today after the storm passed and I thought of you. You are whethering the storm pretty darn well (even when you have your breakdowns and emotional moments), but there is always a rainbow and sunshine after those stormy moments. I love how you have complete strangers reading your blog and reaching out to you. Thanks again for your sweet post.

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so touched by all of your wonderful comments. I am so inspired by all of you and feel so much love and support! Thank you for your thoughts, prayers, and watching for rainbows in our behalf. I wish I could HUG all of you!!!

    ReplyDelete