Saturday, August 6, 2011

Angels Amount Us

I went to the NICU reunion at IMC tonight. I took Jaxon, and Grandma and Grandpa White came along to check things out. The reunion is a once a year celebration of all of the "miracle babies" that have been in the NICU. They had all sorts of activities for children, and I know Jaxon LOVED it. He has already exceeded his weekly visits for Charly this week, so he wasn't able to see her tonight. Jaxon was kept busy by getting his face painted, playing "go fish", and learning about what his sister is going through in the NICU. He LOVED IT! What a fun way to teach children what happens in the NICU.

I had a wonderful time meeting parents who's babies had been in the NICU. Out of coincidence I sat by a family who also had a 24 week old delivery last year. Their little boy looked perfect. He was fortunate and didn't have any brain bleeds, and I felt so much hope hearing about their story. I was also matched up with a mom whose daughter had a grade 4 brain bleed on both sides, and her daughter has cerebral palsy. It's amazing how you never think twice about something - until you are going through it yourself.

I felt so touched by the turn out, and felt such a connection with complete strangers. There was such an overwhelming feeling of warmth and love from these families who have been though so much. I reminded myself several times that I am lucky to have this experience - as hard as it is and has been. I learned that I am not alone in all of this!

No comments:

Post a Comment