Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Our Christmas Miracle


When John and I were married ten years ago...we were in a horrible car accident on the 405 just outside of Los Angeles. John was hurt badly and was rushed to a local hospital. I was a little banged up, but more than anything I was in complete shock. I felt like I was living a nightmare. I was in a big city with no friends or family near by. I felt completely hopeless as I watched my husband be taken away in an ambulance, as I sat on the side of the freeway crying. After a long night, John was transferred to County Hospital in Downtown Los Angeles. That was even a bigger nightmare. I saw things in that hospital...I thought only the nighttime E.R. movies made up. Anyhow, that is another story. My point in bringing this up...is that there have been times in my life where bad things have happened...and I have felt very, very alone. I was guilty of thinking "why me," and my attitude just seemed to make things worse.

When Charly was born...it was sort of the same shock that I experienced over ten years ago in Los Angeles...only...the result and my feelings during this experience have been completely different. I have tried very hard not to dwell on the negatives or feel hopeless as I have in the past.


I have survived some very scary days and nights for Charly. I remember when I was at IMC...I would leave the hospital day after day watching other women taking their babies home. I longed for that moment with Charly. I knew she was too sick to bring home, but I longed to have that experience. I felt a little cheated out of my labor, Charly's delivery, my hospital stay...and so on. I didn't over-dwell on the fact that I couldn't bring her home...but I wondered why day after day...I just happened to be leaving the hospital at the same time parents were nervously adjusting their car seats, packing loads of flowers and gifts into their cars, and holding their bundles of joy. I envied that experience.


I can honestly say that I am SO THANKFUL that I did not have that experience. I am thankful that I had the opportunity to see the things that I have seen, and to be a part of this journey with
Charly. My experience has been filled with many of you who have offered your hearts, your thoughts, your prayers, your strollers, other belongings, your service, your friendships, and SO, SO much more to us during this experience. I feel so privileged that I was able to experience bringing Charly home with so many of you who have been rooting for her along the way!

When we brought her home...we left the hospital peacefully, yet, I felt so much that I had heavenly and earthy Angels who were sounding their trumpets and celebrating with us as we walked in the door. It was amazing to say the least. I cried in the car nearly all the way home - remembering those early thoughts at
IMC and how much I longed to have that "baby coming home" experience that all the other moms were experiencing.

With
Charly coming home we have truly experienced our Christmas Miracle. Charly's story does not end here though, just as John said earlier...we plan to continue the blog with updates, with more miracles, and with more miraculous stories of wonderful miracles that happen in the world!


I can honestly say that this experience has been the most wonderful thing that has ever happened to me. I feel...well, unworthy of the experience. I feel that I have been given a renewed sense of good will, of giving, of sharing, of miracles, of Christmas...and SO, SO much more. In a time where so many horrible things are happening all over the world...Charly's story is one of hope, and of happiness that I am intent on sharing with the world! There are so many wonderful people in the world! I have had sort of my own modern day Christmas Carol! And in the words of Tiny Tim..."God bless us...everyone!"

1 comment:

  1. I do not know you...only a mutual friend Desi posted your blog on Facebook months ago. I have followed your story the whole time and have been praying and routing for your, Charly, and your family for months now. I am so happy for you all! Congrats, she is definitely a beauty and a miracle!

    ReplyDelete