Well, I was hoping it wouldn't happen, but I knew there was a chance. Charly's G-tube popped out on Monday. I was a bit of a wreck when it happened, but we used the emergency g-tube kit the hospital gave us, and I was able to get a temporary catheter placed in her stomach (otherwise...we would have been looking at another surgery, hospitalization, etc, etc).
Charly had been really fussy Saturday, Sunday, and Monday morning. I thought perhaps she was constipated as she would bear down and then scream. After spending most of the morning on the phone with the pediatrician...I called Megan over here to hold Charly while I ran to Walgreens to stock up on infant laxatives. When I got home I noticed her g-tube site was red and gooey. I had noticed it was gooey days leading up...but it has pretty much been gooey and tender since it was placed - so I didn't really think anything of it. Well, as soon as I noticed it...I wanted to clean her g-tube site before changing her diaper...and that's when it happened.
It was pretty gross. Stomach contents spilled out of the hole in Charly's stomach, and I started to panic a bit. We took the g-tube class before we left the hospital, but it didn't really prepare me for the "real thing".
As soon as I placed the emergency catheter in Charly's stomach...we rushed off to Primary Children's to see the surgeon. Turns out that the Mickey button she had was defective and the balloon popped. Dr Black was able to place a new g-tube without surgery due to all of our quick efforts (thanks Megan), but Charly wasn't very happy about it.
As soon as her new g-tube was placed - she began to feel better (as stomach acid was no longer spilling out from her g-tube site - no wonder she would bear down and then scream).
It was a very interesting learning experience, and we are so thankful that Charly is ok.
No comments:
Post a Comment