Tuesday, November 1, 2011

"Angelic is the only word that comes to mind..."

I sat on the windowsill next to Charly's crib and listened to the raindrops pound against the window. The blinds were closed slightly but I could hear the rhythmic pitter patter turn softer and softer, and I knew that the rain must have turned to snow. I peeked out through the slit and noticed that white snow had fallen so lightly, but it was covering the ground as far as I could see in the valley. I immediately thought of Angels.

The talk in church on Sunday had been about Administering Angels. The speaker gave a reference to Elder Holland’s talk entitled "The Ministry of Angels". It was one of the most emotionally charged church meetings I have ever been to. Imagine sitting next to a bald 4 year old - hooked to IV fluids (most likely chemo), or a 2 year old lying in a wagon covered in bandages with a feeding tube out the nose, and countless other critically ill children. The speaker, with tears in his eyes said, "There are Angels that walk these halls...here in Primary's...seen and unseen, but they are definitely here". The 4 year old eyes perked up and I could tell that she was smiling under her medical mask.

I'm not sure what that sweet little 4 year old had experienced, or what exactly made her smile, but I know for a fact that Angels are definitely among us!
You know that feeling you get when you are caught off guard by a set of Goosebumps, or a feeling that you aren't alone (the good feeling, not the scary one). I have had that feeling countless times since Charly was born. Most of the time I have the feeling in regards to things that are "unseen", but often I have them because of a wonderful nurse, someone else that is definitely "seen".

Elder Holland said, "God never leaves us alone, never leaves us unaided in the challenges that we face. “Nor will he, so long as time shall last, or the earth shall stand, or there shall be one man or woman or child upon the face thereof to be saved." On occasions, global or personal, we may feel we are distanced from God, shut out from heaven, lost, alone in dark and dreary places. Often enough that distress can be of our own making, but even then the Father of us all is watching and assisting. And always there are those angels who come and go all around us, seen and unseen, known and unknown, mortal and immortal."

I can remember very clearly a moment where I know that an Angel was present taking care of Charly. I have felt my father with her on multiple occasions, and I know that many others beyond the veil have held her, rocked her, and comforted her during her some of her most scary times. I feel so much that those same Angels have been there to settle my anxieties, to help me breath a little easier, and have carried me through those scary times. We have also been blessed by countless "seen" angels in this journey. I have learned so much about the good nature of people, and how blessed we have been again, and again because of someones inspired thought or action in our families behalf.

For some of you...I have heard, that Charly is your special Angel. She has a way of giving us hope, and renewing our sense of gratitude.

During Charly's most scary days, I took several pictures that have angelic like characteristics.

She has grown and developed into a miracle right before our eyes. And I know she had Angels both seen and unseen watching over her...helping her get to where she is today.

When I was born, my parents expected a boy. I didn't have any girl clothes, let alone a name. My dad told me that he thought about a name for his little girl all night long, and when the sun came up, he thought of me as his "angel of the morning", so I was named Angela Dawn. Charly has been my little Angel, and I know that my dad is watching over both of his angels tonight.

"And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up." D&C 84:88

No comments:

Post a Comment