Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The "Glad Game"

I find myself sitting in front of the laptop with mixed emotions. I have a long laundry list of things that have gone wrong this week.

Tonight...I warmed up some of Emily's Beef Stew (thanks for the freezer meal Em!) and I literally could have put a pound of butter in my stew to drown some of my sorrows. It's been one of those weeks that I have wanted to call my mom...a million times, and just cry. But I've resisted. I've tried to be strong, and I've been holding back.

We went to the Neurosurgeon who told us that Charly could be developing a cyst on her fourth ventricle (a complication from her brain bleed...click here and here if you haven't read those posts). It was BAD news.


She already has a large cyst on her right brain...that is causing some serious left sided weakness. I am hopeful that's not the reason that her heart-rate is dropping while she sleeps, but it's a possibility due to her history. She's been doing so well, and I HOPE, HOPE, HOPE that's not the reason she's having issues. We'll find out for sure on Monday when they do another CAT SCAN (The picture below is from her CT Scan in December before she left the NICU...looks pretty martian like doesn't it...poor little girl!).

As I felt sorry for myself...I was reminded how thankful I am that Emily made the freezer meal for me. Then that thought went to the next. I found myself talking to my imaginary "Pollyanna" and started playing the "glad game"(if you haven't seen the movie Pollyanna...you won't understand this part). Here's what I came up with this week:

  1. I've LOVED staying home with Charly and Jaxon (and John too).
  2. I'm thankful for AMAZING friends and family who have kept me going.
  3. I learned how to make bread bowls, and am doing better at keeping up with the laundry....and...last but not least...the best news of all so far this week:
  4. Charly passed her swallow study!

She had a swallow study on Tuesday, and it seems that this little MISSY is very unorganized when she's eating (again most likely due to her brain bleeds) and just really doesn't have an interest in eating (hmmm...I wish I had that problem). So it WAS GREAT NEWS! John and I were so excited, and know that she can safely eat...she just doesn't know how to. See the thumbs up from the therapist?

I have so much to be thankful for!

Thanks for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers!

I'll have an update from her CAT SCAN on Monday.

LOTS of love and hugs!
~Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment