
If you've been following the blog...you will remember the feeding issues Charly experienced in the NICU (found here and here). She wasn't an aggressive eater at all, and we never really figured out why. I sometimes think it was because she had her NG tube in, and it bothered when she swallowed. She could have had issues with reflux that we weren't aware of at the time (as she has been treated for reflux since after her g-tube was placed), that she could not have the ability to eat due to her brain bleeds, or it could just be that Charly is Charly and wanted to do things her way.
Since bringing Charly home she started making some great process taking a bottle. She was eating up to 35ml on average (about 1 oz.) every three hours. It wasn't life sustaining by any means, and so the rest of her food would be given through her G-tube. During the month of January, she made some really great progress and took up to 60ml at one feeding. She has weekly visits from Pat, her therapist who helps with feeding and physical therapy, and it started making a huge difference.
Then, all of a sudden, around the first of February Charly started getting the sniffles. We had to take her in to get suctioned a few times, but that was it. Since then, she hasn't taken really anything by mouth. We assumed it could have been because she wasn't feeling well, but when the sniffles went away...her feeding NEVER improved.
So, here we are more than one month later, and Charly is still not taking her bottle. So far we think that she doesn't have an oral aversion. She will let us use only certain nipples (with really rubbery textures) and refuses her formula. Water works okay, but she won't suck on her bottle, so what she does get...is from just chomping on the bottle, or what we put on her lips.
We took Charly to the pediatrician this week who noticed that she may have a slight ear infection, and we are treating her for that. I'm hoping that clears things up a bit and she starts to turn the corner by eating from her bottle. Come on Charly! Jaxon is constantly asking for "Charly to remember how to eat" in all of his prayers, and I know that eventually things will be okay.
Have any of you had issues feeding your babies? If so, what? Do you know anyone who has had a preemie with eating issues? Or...does ANYONE have any suggestions? Please feel free to leave a comment!
Eat up, eat up...little Charly Bella!
We have tried pretty much every nipple/bottle that is on the market in order to find one that would work. Between 2 of my own children and several children that we've fostered, we've had many preemies in our home. The one that worked the best for all of them, happened to be the Playtex Nursers with silicone nipple. Not only did they like the nipple, but the system itself reduces gas bubbles because it uses plastic baggies. I have never had much luck with a regular straight nipple. I also don't think very highly of the rubber nipples because they tend to crack more than the silicone. Hope this helps.
ReplyDeleteThanks Tamara! I appreciate the information. I will try the silicone nipples. So far Charly has liked the rubber nipples, but I know they won't last too long. This week her feeding has gotten a bit worse...not sure exactly why, but I'm willing to explore all options at this point. Thanks again for the info!
DeleteHas she ever used a Mini Haberman nipple/bottle? Dakota would only drink from those. The nipple doesn't wear out and it really helped her learn how to eat correctly since she couldn't touch her tongue to her pallate.
ReplyDeleteHere is the link. http://www.nurturecenter.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1251 They are pricey but are totally worth it.
Angie,
ReplyDeletewe are just learning about this same kind of thing. Post nasal drip from a headcold and ear infections, really aggravates the reflux and GI problems for these little ones. I wish I had seen your post sooner, I'm sorry! The ear infection probably has a lot to do with her aversion (if it is one), because her throat feels irritated and may even spasm when she tries to drink, further reducing her interest in drinking. Would love to chat more. Love you!