Thursday, March 15, 2012

One EMPTY, LONELY Swing!


The week started out with the following:
*Feeding issues...NOT resolving...Looks like we are headed for a swallow study next week.
*Replacing Charly's g-tube on Tuesday (it had a faulty seal and started leaking). Funny, our insurance wants to only pay for 4 g-tubes a year, but we have already gone through two of them due to faulty tubes. Does this make sense? HELLO! Also- when the g-tube was replaced we encountered quite a bit of resistance...more so than we thought the first time we replaced it (but we were at the Dr.'s office and maybe didn't worry so much about complications due to knowing a professional was right there). Anyhow, when we finally pulled the old tube out Charly screamed, and a small amount of blood came from her stomach. We immediately put in the new g-tube and drew back stomach contents (so we knew it was in the right place). The rest of the day/night we had one cranky Charly-Bell on our hands. I could tell she was uncomfortable, but no fever, and had good bowel sounds.
*Wednesday didn't bring any "relief" for Charly. Still no fever, and her stomach was soft with no tender pain that we noticed, but her feedings were VERY, VERY slow to digest. I gave her a bottle of water, and she took about 2ml...that's it.
*Thursday (today) rolled around and I noticed her feedings were EVEN MORE slow to digest. I called the Pediatric Surgery Office at Primary's and didn't get a call back...(boo). At about 6pm during one of her condensed feedings...Charly spit up EVERYWHERE. I mean everywhere. This poor thing NEVER spits up either. I could tell her stomach was uncomfortable, and upset. I called the on-call surgeon who told to to just take some water out of her g-tube balloon...which I did.

I hope Charly is okay! I can't tell you how much I dislike her g-tube, but I know she needs it for now. I don't want to have any other g-tube issues! For tonight...her poor swing is being cleaned and we will just have one poor empty, lonely swing....along with one sad, tummy troubled Charly.

1 comment:

  1. Aww, poor Charly :( I hope she's feeling better. And I hope they can figure out why she doesn't want to eat anymore. That G-Tube does not sound like fun. On a side note, we have that exact swing set up in our living room, just waiting for baby boy!

    ReplyDelete