We went to IMC first. This place brought back a FLOOD of memories. Upon entering the labor/delivery/NICU hallway I began to shake. It's not that I had a lot of bad memories or anything like that...I just felt instantly taken back to my time there nearly a year ago. I felt the tears well up as I looked down at the stroller and felt so lucky, happy, AMAZING that I had my little Charly.
She wouldn't be here without help. Since we stopped on a whim I didn't have my camera, so my cell phone had to do. We saw Joanna first (on the far left). She was the Neonatal Nurse Practitioner that was there when Charly was born. She has been there for her, and for us since that day! She is one of the most caring, kind, unforgettable people in our lives. Next to Joanna is Allyson. Allyson is the Social Worker who walked us through several of the steps in the NICU when Charly was born. She is so sweet, and offered so much great information for us. She is a true sweetheart. Words can't express how thankful I am for these ladies. They really, honestly, probably have no idea how much I needed them!
I cried later after seeing this picture of Joanna and Charly. Seriously, Joanna walked on the VERY SCARY, VERY CRITICAL road to Charly's Miracle with us. She sat in rounds and figuratively "caught" me when I fell off my chair...the day I learned of Charly's severe brain bleeds. Just the fact that we were all standing on the "OUTSIDE" of those NICU doors...is enough to bring HUGE, HUGE raindrop size tears to my eyes.
We also saw Denise. When you have a baby in the NICU...you might not get to know all the nurses, but nearly ALL of the nurses know about you. Denise holds a very special place in my heart. She literally saved Charly's life. During the first few weeks of Charly's life... The line that supplied her life sustaining fluids had gone bad, and several of the nurses had already attempted to place a PICC Line. I remember that day, and how critical it was, and how I prayed that they would be able to find a good vein (after several failed or collapsed). It just so happens that Denise found a vein, and placed the picc line. When we first say Deinse...she had the BIGGEST smile on her face! I am hoping to talk to her more about what happened and post more of that miracle on the blog.
This is another reason to be thankful for the nurses that helped us. So many of them helped in so many ways! I am SO THANKFUL for all of the nurses at IMC and Primary's for saving Charly.
It takes someone special to be a nurse. HAPPY NURSES WEEK to all of our little LIFE SAVERS!! HUGS TO ALL OF YOU!!!






I love this post. My mom has been a NICU nurse for 20 years, here in GA. She gets Christmas cards from one family whose daughter she took care of several years ago. I always have a special space in my heart for preemies! Charly is beautiful. You may notice I like to comment...I hope you don't mind :)
ReplyDeleteNurses are the best.
ReplyDeleteAngie, this post had me in tears...big alligator tears! I know exactly what you mean and how you felt....and Joanna and Alyson and Denise....they all had a HUGE part in my baby Katea's NICU journey too! What a great post!
ReplyDelete