Saturday, May 5, 2012

Making a Difference

I broke down in tears right before the March of Dimes walk.  As some of my dear family and friends were gathered together, lined up ready to walk...I was consumed by emotion.  So many thoughts raced through my head.  Thoughts of thankfulness, of love, of hope, of sacrifice, and of the opportunity to MAKE A DIFFERENCE.  Charly has changed our family.  I am being molded and shaped into a better person because of the sweet spirit that she has brought into this world.  I am ashamed to say that before Charly came into my life...I never took the opportunity to contribute to the March of Dimes.  Sure, I've heard of it, and probably donated my dollar here and there to their cause at the local grocery store, but I've NEVER taken the opportunity to learn about it or to do anything about it.  This year was our chance to MAKE A DIFFERENCE...TO GIVE BACK...TO SHOW GRATITUDE, and to SHARE our story of CHARLY'S MIRACLE with other miracle families. 
The Walk was held at This is the Place Heritage Park in Salt Lake City.  As I looked around at the beautiful, majestic surroundings...I couldn't help but feel somewhat connected to the Handcart Pioneers who traveled, and toiled pulling their hard-carts in to the Salt Lake Valley.  

George D. Grant, head of the rescue party for the Martin Hand-cart company, said this in a report to Brigham Young, "It is not of much use for me to attempt to give a description of the situation of these people, for this you will learn from [others]; but you can imagine between five and six hundred men, women and children, worn down by drawing hand carts through snow and mud; fainting by the wayside; falling, chilled by the cold; children crying, their limbs stiffened by cold, their feet bleeding and some of them bare to snow and frost. The sight is almost too much for the stoutest of us; but we go on doing all we can, not doubting nor despairing."

This reference was not to compare the "walk" with what the hand-cart companies had to go through, but I felt it compares to my pioneer experience with Charly.  I may not be pulling or pushing a hand-cart two thousand miles across the plains, but I struggled through a traumatic birth experience, through 5 months in a NICU, with devastating medical diagnoses, life and death situations...and yet, through it all...I am the benefactor of a HUGE MIRACLE.  I am grateful I had the opportunity to push my modern day "handcart" in the form of Charly neatly packaged away safely inside her stroller.  So, here is more of our story:   
 The March of Dimes office provides tools for families to make signs to recognize premature babies.  This is Charly's sign.

It was MUCH colder than we had expected, but we were prepared with sweaters, hats, and gloves.  The passion I felt inside to contribute to something BIGGER than myself...wouldn't have been stopped by rain, wind, or snow.  Even Charly was READY to participate.
I am SO GRATEFUL to everyone who showed up to walk with us.  I'm thankful for EVERYONE who donated, walked, or thought about us during this special time.  
 Allison and Zac came too!
 Charly slept through most of the walk.  I think she liked getting out of the house for a little bit.
 Chantee (Shan-tay) came with her sweet hubby and baby...It's a good thing too...that long hike uphill almost had her putting her RN to some good use!
 There was a band playing music right before the walk started.  It was here that I broke down and sobbed.  Luckily John was there with open arms to squeeze me tight.  Don't you think that aqua goodness wagon would be a perfect place for family pictures?  GORGEOUS!
 Here we go...
 Here's Angie...another one of Charly's Angels.  Her three little ones packed in the wagon.  I didn't get a chance to ask her how she felt after the long uphill walk.  This woman...is AMAZING.  Remember her daughter Makayla from this post?
 We had a great time walking...even Jaxon enjoyed it!
 Amy, Grandma White, Grandpa White, and Boyd at the top of the hill.
 Isn't the view AMAZING?
 THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR COMING!
 Time to take the little Super Girl out...
 She was excited to say "thank you" and to see everyone.
 Here's Dylan and Shantel...You guys and your family...ROCK!
 My TWO LITTLE PEANUTS!
 Charly with "Aunt Jen"
 Feeling overwhelmed and grateful...
 For our little SUPER GIRL!  

We encourage ALL to find something that you can be passionate about...something that will help others, and also to consider helping the March of Dimes in your area.  THIS WAS AN AWESOME, AWESOME DAY!

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to quickly say hi. I look forward to reading about Charly's story when I have a little more time.

    My daughter, Ashlynn, was born 6 weeks early. She spent 24 days in the NICU and there was a time where we weren't sure if she was going to make it. (They thought she had NEC disease.) She is now a happy and healthy 16 month old!!

    We were walking behind you at the March of Dimes walk and I saw your shirts and was hoping to remember your blog. Today when I was uploading pictures into my own blog (http://the-harrisons-blog.blogspot.com/) I noticed your shirts were in some of our pictures so I was able to find you that way. :)

    I am SO happy to see that Charly is home!!!

    ReplyDelete