Friday, September 2, 2011

You is kind. You is smart. You is important

"You are a beloved daughter of Heavenly Father, prepared to come to the earth at this particular time for a sacred and glorious purpose"...

I finally met with the Brain Bleed specialist at Primary's. The results that we discussed, although previously known...were made even much more devastating.

Charly has developed a large cyst on her right brain. It encompasses nearly the entire right brain. The ultrasound looked almost like the only brain tissue left...could be compared to the rind of an orange peel. Her left brain (which was the side that was previously swelling) has momentarily stopped swelling. That's good news, and unfortunately, there is more bad news. Charly's left brain is not growing. Her head is growing comparable with her age, however, the left brain (which also had a grade IV bleed, and is severely damaged as well) is not growing at all.

For a few minutes I felt sick to my stomach looking at her ultrasounds. At the same time, I was revealed to have some clarity on what happened, and what we can expect. The good news...I believe in miracles, and our family will love her no matter what! We really have no idea of what kind of life physical/mental life that Charly will live. I know that these little miracle babies are very resilient, and I have also been told that their brains can "re-wire" to function in area's where there has been damaged. I pray that this is the case for Charly. The specialist said something that stuck me..."these kids will need lots of nurturing to be successful, and with nurturing anything can be possible".

No matter what happens with her, I want her to know that she is loved, and wanted. I want to tell her just like Aibileen says to little Miss Mobly in the book The Help, "You is kind. You is smart. You is important!"

I have felt in my heart through all of this experience that I will be able to take my baby home. For now, that's all I am focusing on. I know that her life might be filled with early interventions, physical therapy, and more...but she is important...she is a miracle, and I know that she will continue to be one. Adversity has been and forever will be a part of the plan.

We appreciate all of the prayers for Charly. I have said again, and again, that we can feel them, that Charly can feel them...and we would not be where we are without Faith, and Prayer. She has been through a lot, and is doing okay for now. We continually pray that her head will have no further complications, and that her brain will be able to "re-wire".

Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf said, "it is your reaction to adversity, not the adversity itself, that determines how your life's story will develop". I can't wait for Charly's story to enfold!

1 comment:

  1. She is so beautiful. I just can't get over how far she has come! It is amazing what a little fighter she is! I was reading an email I get from Baby Center every now and then...and it had a brief comment about a study that was done at BYU
    on the effects of music:

    "Music as a source of strength. A study at Brigham Young University found that premature infants who were exposed to music gained more weight, had lower blood pressure, and had a stronger heartbeat than a comparable group of babies who weren't."

    I immediately thought of you and little Charly. Then when you talked about the Brain Bleed specialist saying that she'll need lots of nurturing...I was reminded again of that study. Music can do amazing things!

    You all are still very much on my mind and always in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete