When Charly was born I had an overwhelming impression to fight for her.
I knew "ethnically speaking" that the odds were stacked against us, and that medical and financial challenges were inevitable. We had a well meaning nurse caution us on the financial impacts of having a micro-preemie (meaning, is it ethical to keep a baby alive as the financial impact to save this baby was well over a million dollars?).
I can't even imagine having a million dollars. Heck, I can't even imagine having a hundred thousand dollars. But, the point is...I knew when we refused to take her off life support her first week of life...that there would be a financial impact. I knew our health insurer wouldn't be happy. I knew some family/friends may criticize us because of the decision we made. And, I knew that I personally was not willing to give up NO MATTER WHAT to keep this baby alive. I remember crying in John's arms telling him that I would give up my job, I would give up buying anything we needed, and even move or give up our house if we had to...in order to save Charly.
I knew that not only did I fight for her with prayer, with faith, with love, with hope, with knowledge...but I am fighting for her and keeping the promise that I made to John...that I will always fight for Charly.
I'm sure some out there might think that's absurd. How much can one human life be worth? What is the impact to your family? How is this affecting your other child? How can one family drain the insurers pockets? Well, to these individuals...all I have to show you is this:
We have received so many blessings because of Charly. We've witnessed medical miracles, miracles of faith, of healing, and miracles of healing hearts and relationships (family and friends). Charly has touched lives because of HER countenance, and her spirit, and so we will continue to fight for her.
We are thankful for the MANY, MANY blessings we have been given. We have received countless kind words, emails, meals from neighbors, friends and neighbors cleaning our home. We've received blessings from those willing to learn some of Charly's medical needs so they can relieve us when we need a break. We've had people we have never met give us gifts of monetary value and spiritual value. We have been given so much and for that we are eternally grateful.
I don't want to startle anyone. We are not at a point where we are loosing our home. But we have taken a HUGE financial impact by having Charly. I am no longer working outside of the home. We bought our home right before the real estate crash and so we are paying for that in our own way. We LOVE our neighbors. We couldn't have gotten through this without them. We are thankful for our family. They have sacrificed their time, their money, and many other things in order to help us with Charly.
But...we are finding ourselves in need still. This is a tough situation. It's hard to ask for help. It's humbling, and sometimes a bit humiliating, but never once have we thought about giving up. We're here to fight for Charly and to ask for help when we need it. I suppose that's one of the things I had to learn right at first (after Charly's birth)...that I can't do this all on my own.
Several times I have wondered how I can have so much help, and still feel like I am in need. Is it just me? Am I that unorganized. Most of the time the answer is obviously, no. The fact is, our lives have changed and they have changed for the better.
Charly has proven many miracles, but she has her set of challenges. We are trying our best to prepare a way to keep her successful and to give her the things that she needs. For example, a car seat for a child with cerebral palsy can cost upwards of 700$. A tumbleform chair (used in therapy and feeding therapy) can cost over a thousand dollars. Charly will require heart surgery before she turns 4 or 5, and we are not sure what other orthopedic surgeries she is going to require until she is a little older. Charly's head girth has grown more than expected, and although she has escaped the need for a shunt...unfortunately, it remains a possibility due to recent events. We will continue to have faith that she will provide many more miracles, but we are prepared for whatever Heavenly Father has in store for us.
So that being said, we are having a yard sale/bake sale for Charly Bella (and I also say for her family). We would like to catch up on some medical bills and be able to provide Charly a few things that she needs at this time.
The yard sale will be on Saturday, August 25th from 8am to 2pm. We are looking for donations (gently used items) and volunteers to help us price and sell items. I will have more information about the yard sale in the next few days. Thank you so much for all that you do for us!
This post is everything I've already known about you, and loved about you....you are a very dedicated and loving mother and Charly and Jaxon are so blessed to have you! I think it's wonderful that you're willing to ask for help...it's hard to do that at times, I know...but there are so many more people who are ready and willing and want to help....they just don't know how. See you on the 25th! :)
ReplyDeleteNothing is worse than having to worry about medical bills, plus the health of your baby. I am sorry you are going through all of this.
ReplyDelete